Sunday, June 1, 2008

Common Bond

Finally I have discovered something my husband and my son both enjoy and can do together. Up until now they have had no common interests. Thomas enjoys Clifford, Curious George, the Wiggles, and picking his nose. Daddy enjoys none of these things, although he may pick his nose in private, I don't know...

So Saturday night we decided to give the local race track a chance to receive some of our hard earned money. The cost wasn't high and Thomas got in free, so if he didn't like it we didn't have to regret spending the money to get him in.

When we first arrived Thomas was in good spirits. He didn't know what was going on, but with a belly full of McDonald's french fries and sprite, he was ready to party. Upon walking in he spotted one of his new favorite things (as long as he isn't on it) - a bright yellow school bus. The bus was offering free rides around the track and into the pits for anyone interested. Thomas was content, more like downright giddy, just to watch the bus circle the track. When it was time for the race I got a little anxious. Would they cars be too loud? Would he get bored? Would we end up having to leave before the first race even ended?

Turns out I needn't have worried. Thomas was in complete euphoria, sitting there watching the races. The louder the cars the more excited he became, bouncing on first my knee and then his dad's. Wriggling, squirming, kicking his legs, he had to be passed back and forth between his daddy and mommy so they could each have a chance to relax before trying to keep that crazy happy boy from bouncing right off our laps.

It was truly a perfect moment. There aren't many things my boys can do together that they both enjoy. It's hard to find an activity that Thomas can participate in with at least a basic understanding of what is happening. It was thrilling to watch him as he watched the cars circle the track. My heart was full to bursting as I watched father and son sitting together, eyes following the cars around the track, both with huge smiles on thier faces.

And even though I am not a big race fan, I can't wait for the next one!

1 comment:

Holly Anderson said...

Yay Thomas!!! Isn't it awesome to see their eyes just light up with pure joy?

Give that boy a big hug for me!